Thursday, 12 June 2014

My Music Turning Point

Growing up I was never really a music person. I was one of those kids who never found Beyoncé, Destiny's Child or The Spice Girls fascinating. I always used to wonder how my friends managed to sing along - word to word, to some songs that I had no clue about. However, because I didn't want to be the odd one out, the weirdo or uncool, I had no choice but to blend in with the crowd and appear to be on the same tip. I would spend hours on MTV Base, Trace and Channel O trying by all means to master the words of every new song. 

After torturing myself for years, I decided I would just give it up. I would just stick to not being a music person never mind what anyone would say or think. Now as I look back, I am thankful I made that decision. When I finally heard sermons (a good one was Distraction Dilemma by Christian Berdahl) and read books on the effects of music for good or for ill to our spirituality, it wasn't a big jump for me to completely do away with secular music i.e those few songs that I thought were harmless (P.S - I used to love 'break up' songs, a lot disturbing, now that I am thinking about it). 

Anyway once I got rid of my 'break up' songs, I knew I had to replace that gap with some form of music that would draw me closer to God. The sermon I linked up above encouraged me to not only pay particular attention to the lyrics but to the melody and rhythm of a song as well. It was just a blessing and a half, I would, with no doubt, recommend it to anyone who is willing to glorify God in the type of music they listen to. It was a real eye opener, to say the lest. I had no clue music was that much complicated and can greatly influence your eternal destiny, YES! it's that DEEP!

Moral of the story: Please do take time to watch the presentation.

"Music was made to serve a holy purpose, to lift the thoughts to that which is pure, noble, and elevating, and to awaken in the soul devotion and gratitude to God. What a contrast between the ancient custom and the uses to which music is now too often devoted!" ~ MYP 293.1

"When turned to good account, music is a blessing, but it is often made one of Satan’s most attractive agencies to ensnare souls. When abused, it leads the unconsecrated to pride, vanity, and folly. When allowed to take the place of devotion and prayer, it is a terrible curse." ~ MYP 295.1

* MYP - Messages To Young People by Ellen G. White


6 comments:

  1. I love this post! Music is a big part of my life. I am a piano player, and I think music can either effect you for good or evil, so I am choosy at what I listen to. Even a lot of "Christian" music I will not listen to. Like you said it's not just the lyrics. :-) Thanks! It's all about what brings glory to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lauren... I so agree with you, that it's all about what brings glory to God :) I am glad you love the post. Thanks for such kind words!

      Double blessings...xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your posts.
    God bless,
    Chris
    somuchathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoy my posts. Thanks Chris for such positive feedback...

      Stay blessed :)

      Delete
  3. I really appreciated the quotes from Messages to Young People you included at the end. That seems like a book worth hunting for! Thanks so much for linking up on Booknificent Thursday this week. It's great to "meet" you!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tina :) I am glad you loved the quotes and YES! It's a must have book!!!! Stay blessed...

      Delete