Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Random Ramblings: Are Lawyers really Liars?

"Lawyers are liars!"

Is the most common phrase that many 'dedicated' Christians use against or to discourage anyone pursuing a career in law or legal studies. I have had these three most hurtful words said to me a couple of times. Though I never spoke out at that time, the constant repetition of that phrase made me think twice about my passion, my dream, my wish to one day be a qualified lawyer. I got to a point where if I was asked what I was studying, I would lower my voice, say Law, then quickly change the topic before I received any negative comments about it. Or in the case that the question was asked in a text or email, my response would always be defensive. I really felt as though I was sinning against my God for choosing Law as a career. After applying for my postgraduate, my prayer daily was for the Lord to make my application unsuccessful, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was willing and ready to just forget about my dream. Lo and behold, the Lord answered my prayers and my application was unsuccessful by 0.95% (if my memory serves me right). As much as I was 'happy' or meant to be, I was seriously screwed, I went through some major depression - all because I cared more about what people said and thought!

Upon reflection (Yes! I think a lot), I realized among the greatest Protestant reformers were the likes of Martin Luther and John Calvin, who were lawyers. Then my question was, could God have used liars to fulfill his cause? It's true some lawyers do defend criminals and win cases for them, but assuming that all lawyers do that is inaccurate. I have heard stories of accountants who stole money, so is it safe to assume all accountants are thieves? Or Pastors who committed sexual sin, so are all pastors adulterers? I believe the answer is NO! to both those questions, so the same should apply to lawyers as well. 

Jesus gave us a great commission, he said go into all the world and preach. Paul also said in one of his letters that, to them different talents or gifts were given. If you are a writer, reader, speaker and have a special place for legal studies in your heart then surely the Lord intended that you go the Law/Lawyer route. It doesn't pay listening to what people say or think, it only brings about pain and confusion (talking from experience). Not everyone is moved by the right spirit to open their mouth and talk, so when you aren't sure of anything in your life, just go down on your kneels and ask God to give you the gift of discernment. 


2 comments:

  1. Because lawyers involved in family law or conveyancers dealing with property, maritime law, or those who work for the downtrodden etc. need to even start defending an indefensible person anyway. And I thought even criminal lawyers were allowed to choose who they represent? Or quit? Bah humbug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a worthy occupation to become a lawyer. There needs to be more Christian lawyers.

    ReplyDelete