Tuesday, 3 June 2014

Why I don't hug guys?

I am one of those people who quickly stretch their hand out before the next person opens up their arms for a hug. When I do attempt to hug, people always complain that my 'hugs' are not really hugs. So here are the reasons why:

Firstly, hugs are just NOT my thing. I just think they are too mushy-washy, lovey-dovey #ROMANTIC for me. It's a lot awkward when I have to hug anyone whether male or female but with females I can at least compromise. Whereas with males who are very close to me i.e my brothers or uncles, the furthest I can go is a 'side-hug' (which isn't really a hug by definition).

Secondly, after learning that by creation, men are naturally aroused by sight and women by touch. Through God's grace, I decided I would dress modestly so as to avoid being the reason why my fellow brothers would fall (among other reasons) and also refrain from unnecessary physical contact especially with people of the opposite sex.

Thirdly and most importantly, the real deal behind this post. 1 Corinthians 7:1-2 says "...It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid FORNICATION, let every man have his OWN wife and let every woman have her own husband." From that text, my understanding is that the only male that is allowed to touch me is my husband and seeing that I don't have one YET, I am convicted to officially wave "HUGS" (to the opposite sex) a big GOODBYE!

Some may argue, it's just a hug, just one hug, what sinful thing could possibly come out of it. But I believe if I give you that one hug today, nothing is going to stop me from giving you another one and another one and another one... As I mentioned earlier women are aroused by touch, so if we continually press our bodies together (in the name of a hug) every time I have to greet you chances are some feelings are likely to develop. Then once we are tired of those hugs, only God knows what that 'one hug' could possibly lead to.

Is the 21st century that much ahead/forward that a simple handshake is 'old-fashioned'?

Are our friendship bonds so strong or rather weak that we need to press our bodies together, sometimes very tightly, to show that we care for each other?

This post is linked up at:
So Much at Home
Where Joy Is
The Modest Mom Blog

9 comments:

  1. Yes I definitely agree on the 'no hugging guys' thing. I have heard lots of girls say "Well I'm doing it for the right reason so I don't have a problem with it." I do not believe we should ever be touching guys around us. (Except I don't have a problem with close family members.) We very easily can arouse ungodly feelings in a man because of us touching them.
    Thanks very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather :)

      I am so glad we share the same sentiments. Thanks for reading!

      God bless you...x

      Delete
  2. Thanks for linking this post to my link-up party. Come link every Wednesday-Wednesday.
    God Bless,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Chris :)

      Thanks, will be sure to do that...xxx

      Double blessings :)

      Delete
  3. wow Nontie, this is deep!...I love hugs but after reading this I feel like God is convicting me to stop hugging guys...Thanks for sharing.I miss you...How's Zim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nandi!!!!!!!! I miss you toooooo *sobbing* Zim is great, I hope you are well :)

      I'm glad The Lord used this post to speak to you. Glory be to Him for his faithfulness :)

      Delete
  4. It's just sad that people don't get it. I once smilingly told a guy just as he was leaning in for a hug, "Sorry, I don't do hugs." and he laughed. Next thing I hear through the grapevine that he was really upset about that. Why are you so into it that it would upset you THAT much? It's not like I starved you food when you were hungry.

    Second but sad one. my sister-in-law told me of an adulterous pair. How did the adultery start? The man said that they instituted a "Let's hug" thing at church and the feelings developed when he hugged the fellow member's wife in church. As you say, why not rather avoid anything that might lead to temptation? Ahhhh *frustrated*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is just the saddest reality but surprisingly enough people don't get it and still insist on the 'pressing our bodies together' way of greeting. It might not be evil in itself but the bible bids us to 'avoid the APPEARANCE of evil.' Something doesn't have to be wrong to be discarded, as long as it's a potential leeway of sin it has to GO!

      LORD HELP US!!!!!!

      Thanks sis Thandi for sharing :)

      Delete
  5. This is an interesting application of this verse. I hadn't thought of it that way. I admire you for sticking to your convictions in this matter.
    Blessings from Harvest Lane Cottage,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete