Monday, 14 July 2014

Keep the Faith!

This is a testimony more than anything else. I always used to say 'God is faithful even in our unfaithfulness' but never really knew what that meant practically.

Background: The past few days, I was in a serious spiritual battle and I was definitely hitting on the downfall button. Not ignoring the great controversy, the best reason I could come up with was the 'negative' or better still, the not so encouraging words certain individuals would vomit in my presence. 'Oh yeah you don't do hugs' had/has become the new 'Hey Nontie, how are you doing?' or comments about my head covering, my diet, my not wearing pants or my not having a boyfriend, among other things. These all seem like petty issues but to a very sensitive person they can be a big deal. 

I would pray day and night asking God to help me not be discouraged. I realized people will always have something to say and many at times, some don't even care to consider the impact caused on the next person. I just wanted to keep my eyes on Jesus but that seemed a lot difficult. I couldn't take it anymore. Amidst the great cloud of confusion the Lord reminded me of the experience of Saul prior to his conversion. Jesus said in Acts 9:16 concerning Saul - "I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” From this I learnt that following Christ does not come with a promise of prosperity. The moment one makes a decision to follow Christ, it may only be God who understands you. The journey heavenward is not all roses, we will meet many obstacles, but like the saints of old we ought to always keep the faith. Our focus should not be on what people say or think but on what the word of God says.

Disclaimer: this is not to imply that those who follow Christ will never have ups in their lives but as one preacher once said 'prosperity can never be a distinction between the righteous and unrighteous but it is through fire that the righteous are tested' (see: Revelation 3:18).




Moral of the story: 

My prayer and hope is for these words (like Paul) to one day be our words - 

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all of them also that love his appearing."

2 Timothy 4:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment