Monday, 28 July 2014

Throwing a fit at God!

We do it all the time.

When things don't go as we would have hoped, very few actually praise God  and thank him for our misfortunes. Instead we throw a fit at God - we stop praying and studying our bibles. We often say to our little ones, 'you get what you get and don't throw a fit' how about we lead by example in that hour of discouragement, trial or affliction.

Are you undergoing trials? Is the Christian life getting harder and harder? Does it appear as though God is giving you the silent treatment? I have often found myself throwing tantrums at God BUT  experience has taught me that, it's at our moment of great disappointment that divine help is nearest. Giving up on God at such a time is the worst thing you want to do!


Our lives are much like construction sites, but instead of seeing signs that say "men at work" we see the sign "God at work." God is always present but in times of trouble or need He is 'very present!' He will place barriers to prevent you from going over a cliff or making a bad decision. He will create a mudslide of events that will have you on a fast slope that seemingly leads to nowhere, only to have you standing somewhere thinking, "Wow! That's my God."

God through his word uses a beautiful analogy that He is the potter and we are the clay. "As the clay is in the potter's hands so are you in My hand." Jeremiah 18:6 - a beautiful pot is made by shaping clay into a vessel and then refining it in fire until it is purified and hardened. Only then is it worth of use. 

Moral of the story: We must show a firm, undeviating trust in God. Often He delays to answer us in order to try our FAITH or test the genuineness of our desire. Having asked according to His word, we should believe His promise and press our petition with the determination that we will not be denied. God doesn't not say; ask once and you will receive. He bids us ask. Unwearingly persist in prayer. The persistent asking brings the petitioner into a more earnest attitude, and gives him an increased desire to receive the things for which he asks. Christ said to Martha at the grave of Lazarus, "If thou wouldst believe, thou shouldest see the glory of God." (John 11:40).


6 comments:

  1. This is so true.... we so easily "lean on our own understanding" when we don't see things happening like we want them to.... God's timetable is different than ours and we do need to trust Him. Thank you for posting this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true :) I went through a really hard time when I was diagnosed as chronically ill when I was 18- I had no idea why God would let something like that happen and I was so upset. Now, I'm so thankful because He used it in amazing ways and I have actually gotten to see a little bit of the "why" behind it all. It was such a good lesson to always trust Him even when I don't see the reason. He is good and I can trust that He always has His plan. Thanks for sharing!
    -S.L. Payne, uncommongrace.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the analogy of the Potter and the clay.
    I am visiting from `Make My Saturday Sweet`

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post and great reminder. I've been there! Thanks for sharing this.
    I came over from Sweet Saturday. I linked too!
    Nice to meet you.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thankful to finally be seeing growth in this area in my life! Something just happened that is quite similar to something else that happened to me 10 years ago. Ten years ago, I responded so very badly, complete with a whole lot of fit-throwing at God, so I was pleasantly surprised and so grateful at how I was able to accept it as God's will this time and really be at peace even though it created very similar turmoil in my actual circumstances. So thankful! Thanks for sharing this on Booknificent Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete