Friday, 1 August 2014

Book Review: Think Big by Ben Carson

Think Big by Ben Carson
At first glance I thought this book was boring, I judged it by it's cover. I browsed through the first few pages and wasn't keen on actually reading it. I set it aside for a while until one day I got so bored I decided I would just read it and fall asleep. Lo and behold, once I got my full attention on it, I couldn't put it down. I read it in less than three days and my only regret was that of not reading it earlier. 

Key Lessons: Books are tools, use them. The key to success is through knowledge and knowledge is acquired through reading. I also learnt that reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. As long as one can read they are able to change their destiny. Knowledge is one thing that no one can take away from you, people can destroy your house, they can steal your cars, your money but if you have knowledge  and know how to use it, you have everything you need.

We will not all be rich and famous, but whatever we find ourselves to do we should do it to the best of our abilities. We should take the Lord at his word when he says "In ALL labour there is profit..." (Proverbs 14:23). If you are going to wash dishes, to scrub the floor, or cook, give it your all. This has helped me a lot in those moments when I just feel lazy to clean certain spots that I know my mom won't care to check. I often recite Colossians 3:23 which says "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men."

We should never settle for second best, as Ben Carson's mother would say to her children "you can do what they can do, but you can do it better" - the 'they' referring to the already successful people. 

Moral of the story: Read! Read! Read! - as long it's in line with Philippians 4:8 nothing is irrelevant for your life. Your brain has more than 4 billion cells, imagine how much you will have to read to fill it up. If you are a student, don't wait until test or exam week, don't just study to get by tests and exams, study for knowledge, study for understanding. In-depth learning is also key, when you start a new topic in class/lectures make sure you read as much as you can on it, go through the additional  materials, search the web, do group discussions, whatever it takes - if you stick to prescribed material don't expect to score higher than everyone else. Had I known this earlier I would have achieved more. As long as you have a brain and can read, you have all it takes to be a genius. 

I will end with this quotation - "We do not have to compare our achievements with those of others. We need only to ask ourselves one question: Have I given my best?" ~ Ben Carson.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great pieces of scripture.
    I love reading now, but I didn't always.
    There is so much to books.
    You can learn a new skill, you can travel,
    you can make a friend.
    The list goes on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that with books before too. Picked them up, judged them, only to pick them up later to discover I nearly missed a treasure. This sounds like one of those books for you and like it has some great insights. Thanks for sharing and for linking up on Fulfilled Fridays at Living in Green Grass.

    ReplyDelete