Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Bashed for Jesus... And still going!

My cousin and I have been indirectly trying to minister to one lady from an Apostolic Church, the ones that wear all white and worship under the sun, even when the sun is scotching - that just spells out dedication to their Lord. 

In our attempt, we first wanted to understand what she believes so we know which approach to take but that led to us being bashed before we even started.

Lady told us that they don't read bibles or at least they are not encouraged to. Just like how God revealed His word to prophets of old - Moses, Daniel, Jeremiah, etc He is doing the same now to their modern day prophet. This God reveals the very same things that are written in the bible, the stories of Jonah, Job, Jesus, etc so hey, this defeats the point of reading the bible for yourself right? It even makes void a verse I once came across which says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness..." (1 Timothy 3:16). Their Sabbath is on Thursday so they observe it by not eating certain foods and sleeping on the floor. The list goes on and on and on but my point here is, these people have been veiled from ever discovering biblical truth for themselves. When we attempted to tell her what the bible says her response was "I have been going to this church even before my father died, he never stopped me so one can." No matter what we said, or how we said it, it did not make a difference to her. 

Imagine the hurt, the pain, the discouragement. I begged God to make me His witness, to open up doors for me to labour in His vineyard but sure didn't expect this as a first encounter. 

Moral of the story: evangelism will not always be smooth but always bare in mind the verse which says "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58). 



No comments:

Post a Comment