Thursday, 4 September 2014

Testimony: How I changed to modesty?

Miss Nandi :)
Nandi Vuyiseka is sharing with us today. I met her through my 'modest queen' friend - Pinky Sibindi who she mentions later on in this post. The key lessons I got from her experience are that, the moment you accept light revealed to you and strive to live by it, God will not only provide the means but He will be with you all the way. I hope and pray all my sisters (and brothers) out there will be blessed and encouraged through this testimony. 
____
This was back in 2013, mid-October. I’m not sure of the exact day but somewhere around that time the Lord spoke to me through a video I saw on Youtube. For a long time I had been a Christian and I did not see anything wrong with wearing pants to church as I believed “the Lord was only interested in your heart and not in your clothes." I would often quote the Scripture on Joel 2:13 “Render your heart and not your garments”.

I gave my life to Christ in March 2011 and became a born again Christian. Throughout that time I still continued with my normal way of dressing as I did not see anything wrong with it. I started serving at church as an usher and would sometimes wear pants and those tight pencil skirts as part of the “usher’s uniform”. I was sharing a flat with one of the Seventh Day Adventist member - Pinky. I would see her and her friends always in skirts and observed their lifestyle and I would often tease her saying she looked like a house wife in those skirts. I would be like “Well, it’s good that you want to honor God in that way but as for me, I’m cool with the way I dress. After all God is interested in your heart and not your clothes, isn’t it?

Then one day I was watching some sermons on Youtube and I came across one where this lady, a Prophetess, was sharing a recent message from the Lord on modesty and how Christ feels about the way we dress as women. I felt like the Lord was speaking specifically to me. I knew I had to change the way I dress but was rebellious.The lady was in her mid-30’s but she looked like she was in her 40’s because of the way she was dressed. She had a polo-neck and a blouse on top of that. I was like “Lord, I hear you but I’m just not ready for that. I’m still young I don’t want to look like I’m old for my  age. What are my friends going to think of me. I’m sorry but I cannot do it now, maybe when I’m married.”

The following day as I was preparing for class, I felt the Lord was done speaking to me about being modest in my apparel and I just couldn’t understand why he would not drop the subject. I thought I had told him I wasn’t ready for that. I put on my jeans but something strange happened that day. I could not leave my room in those jeans. For the first time in my life I felt naked. I changed to another pair of jeans but still, I felt naked. I cried and decided to put on one of my long skirts and then I felt this surge of peace come over me. The Lord clearly explained why he did not want me to wear pants and immodest apparel anymore. He said anytime you wear something that reveals the form or shape of your body, you are causing men to lust after you. He explained how men, more especially godly men, have to struggle with lust every time an immodestly dressed woman passes by. Job 31:1 talks about how Job made a covenant with his eyes not to look at women lustfully. He told me that this was every man’s prayer and that as a woman of God I wasn’t helping them at all in their struggle with lust if I continued with the way I dressed. I just could not stop crying after this realization and I repented before God. 

Moral of the story: Ladies, I know most of you might be thinking that, you are not to blame for men’s sinful minds. That it’s your  body and that men need to respect us and our bodies and not think sexual thoughts every time they see a girl pass by. Remember what the Bible says in Mark 9:42. If you call yourself a Christian I believe and the bible confirms that, it’s only fair that you protect your brothers in Christ by the way you dress and vice versa. If we cause each other to sin we are as guilty as they are in the eyes of God and for that we will be held accountable on the day of judgement. If you struggle with modesty in general like I did, I suggest you pray about it and God will help you. God is faithful and will not give you a cross that you cannot bear. Let us honour God with our bodies. He will reward us for that. Stay blessed.

Thank you very much Nandi for sharing your story with us. Remain in the Lord!


5 comments:

  1. ncooooooh I'm sooo touched and blessed by this testimony. Had never gotten the full story... But yes indeed God is faithful at all times... He is the only person I know who works inside out, changes and transforms your heart and its desires... For though Jeremiah 17:9 says that "The heart is deceiptful above all things and desperately wicked, who can know it?" Proverbs 23:26 says "My son, give me thine heart and let thine eyes observe my ways..." Only Christ can change our hearts and make us love seemingly "weird" things.... God bless and #onwards and upwards we go... Seeking to do the will of God at every-step of the way... Stay faithful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Pinky... God is good all the time!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this inspiring post at somuchathome.blogspot.com.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We serve a mighty God!
    Great story on how God does convict us with our decisions. He is a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Christine, as long as we allow Him he do great things through us.

      Delete