Monday, 20 October 2014

Being my mother's daughter :)

Whether you have a great mother-daughter relationship or a mother-daughter relationship that can be improved, you probably know that mother-daughter bonding can start at any stage in life and it's never too late.

      

Yesterday  we had a mother-daughter social event with the ladies from church. This event taught me that I could love anyone. I don't have to know someone for years for me to be a friend or a sister. I was touched by the concern our mothers had for us young ladies in the church. They took time to organize the event and be there, not only to advise us on issues of life but to also hear the challenges we are facing spiritually. To all the women out there who are doing the same, please continue the good work, your impact is far greater than you think.

As one of the presenters was speaking, I had flash backs of my own life. She was speaking on the issue of dress and she said, as long as you might think you're dressing for yourself, when people see your dressing, they don't only draw conclusions about you but your mother as well. The way you present yourself says a lot about the home that you come from. When I was younger (and old enough to buy my own clothes), the worst part of my life was dressing up to go somewhere with my mom. I knew I had to change three or four times before she could approve of my dressing. Sometimes she would give me the 'talking eye' that would make me go back to my wardrobe and grab that dress I vowed to never wear. It never made sense then but today I thank her for it. To my younger sisters, you will not always understand why your mom is doing certain things but when you are older you will realize that it was all for your well being. No matter how educated you become and your mom barely went past 7th grade, when it comes to life issues you will never know more than her.

In like manner, we will not always understand why certain things are happening to us, why things aren't going our way but if we trust God, he will unveil his plans before our eyes. We will never ever have knowledge that surpasses that of God, never! From my own experience, trusting Him, though not always easy, is the safest thing we can ever do and it's never too late! Our father above gave us the holy precepts, he sacrificed his only son, he promised us the guidance of the Holy Spirit, he has done all he could, not for his benefit but for us to be restored back to his image. For us to be rescued from this sinful world. For us to kiss - death, pain, poverty and sorrow - goodbye forever. Is this love not enough for us to surrender our lives to him? For us to love one another to the extent that we will be pained to see a brother or sister fall?


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a lovely thought provoking post. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete