Monday, 3 November 2014

God does not have Grandchildren!

I have often heard people saying;

'I was born Christian' or 'I was born *insert your denomination here*' or specifically in the case of my fellow Seventh Day Adventists (SDAs), when asked how or when they joined the fold, they say 'I was born in the church' or 'I was born Adventist.' 

God's
former Grandchild!
Author's interjection: I was one of those who used to say 'I was born in the church' or 'I have been Adventist since birth.' I said it with so much pride as if that fact alone was enough to get me into heaven. 

The danger in this is that, many of us who had the privilege of belonging to a good Christian home, have now become lukewarm. Going to church has become a routine. Since we grew up hearing about Joseph, Daniel and the three Hebrew boys, we now think we know it all. When someone rebukes us in love, it comes out as judging and we are quick to take offense. We refuse to be corrected! We refuse to be wrong! We believe, since this Christian thing has been in our families long enough, no one knows it better than us right? 

However my perception totally changed recently after listening to a sermon were the preacher said this statement "God does not have grandchildren" meaning no one is born Christian but rather we convert to Christianity. God gave all of us the choice to either serve him or serve him not (Deuteronomy 30:19), so whether or not you were born into a Christian/Adventist family, you have to make that choice some time in your life. We are not saved on someone else's merits, even if that person is mom or dad, pastor or elder.

Moral of the Story: Just because you grew up memorizing verses and singing scripture songs, doesn't make you a better Christian today. To God, your good past does not cover up your current wrongs. What you do with what you know reveals your character and God will hold you accountable for all the light you have received.

Remember you are God's child and NOT his grandchild!

10 comments:

  1. Love this! Very true and so thankful you shared at Booknificent Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura... I'm glad you loved the post. Thanks for such kind words. Remain in the Lord :)

      Delete
  2. So true! We were all given a choice. God didn't make us robots, but gave us a free will to love and serve Him.
    Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. John 3:3
    Keep growing in wisdom, Miss Nontie. Thanks for sharing your lovely posts at So Much at Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Chris! Thanks for such encouraging words. Stay blessed :)

      Delete
  3. love that. And as children, and not grandchildren, we have that much of a closer bond with our Father than our Grandfather. Sadly, there are many who distance themselves from their Heavenly Father as though he were their Grandfather...works both ways, I suppose. Thanks for the reminder. Visiting from Essential Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Mary! I wouldn't have said it any better. Thanks for your comment and I'm glad you loved the post. Blessings :)

      Delete
  4. Great reminder not to take our Christian upbringing for granted. We need to strive and grow in His image everyday and we will never be "finished" with our walk until we have "endured unto the end"...

    Thanks for sharing each week at the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that Jes! Thanks for sharing such a profound fact and for faithfully hosting the link up each week. Continue making Jesus smile :)

      Delete
  5. My husband and I often talk about the dangers of "inoculating" our children to Christianity. We want them to be totally "infected" by it and their lives transformed! As I read what you wrote here, I was thinking that many people also want to interact with God more as a grandparent than a father as well. They want all the spoiling that many grandparents do and none of the discipline and training that parents are responsible for. Thanks for sharing this at Booknificent Thursday this week! Always great to have you!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super glad you and your hubby talk about it. It's one aspect that many Christians miss. I pray the Lord will grant your wish for your children. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Continue making Jesus smile!

      Delete