Sunday, 15 November 2015

Feminist?

I have heard of the phrase that says, “what other people think of you is none of your business.” I agree with that statement to some extent but (in reality) I actually care about what people think of me.

They say “righteousness within testifies righteousness without” so if I profess to be a Christian (Christ-like), I also expect people around me to think of me likewise. If they don't, I strongly believe there is a possibility of a flaw in my character that needs to be fixed (okay, let's say sometimes).

A personal illustration: I have been labeled a feminist on a couple of occasions. Some have even used that fact to explain my “failed” relationships.

The truth is, I'm very far from being a feminist. I am actually ‘old-fashioned’ to the extent that, I believe the man is the head of the house and the wife ought to be submissive. I don't believe in gender equality, not because women can't do certain things or are too weak but simply because God assigned different roles to them.

Analogy: Take the human body for instance, it is one body but the different parts were assigned different roles. The mouth is for eating and the ear for hearing but they both serve one body. It's as simple as that.

I don't hate men. I have nothing against them. I actually believe men can be real darlings (from my experience with my dad, brothers, uncles and some friends). But of course, there is a kind that I would rather have being as far away from me as possible. The kind that will take my sensitivity for granted. That will mistake my being tolerant to being desperate. That will think my life revolves around them.


Moral of the Story: One lesson I learnt in life is that, being single is not a chronic illness. If I am not getting the same respect that I believe everyone deserves, then I certainly don't mind walking away. It will hurt me YES, but i would rather go through pain for a short while than for the rest of my life. If that is being a feminist, then I happily accept the label.


No comments:

Post a Comment