Wednesday, 1 February 2017

Surviving Law School

Background:
When it comes to Law you can either do the straight 4 year LLB (Bachelor of Laws), or the 5 year route, where you do a first degree majoring in Law and something else for example Law and Politics or Law and Journalism, etc and then in your third year you apply to get into the 2 year LLB. You can also opt to do the 3 year LLB - for this you have to do a pre-law degree with no law courses - this can be in Pharmacy, Science, Humanities, Commerce, etc, then apply to do the LLB as a postgraduate degree.

Personal Experience:
I did my pre-law degree at the University of Cape Town and then went on to do my 3 year LLB at Rhodes University. Below I will briefly share my experiences for my first two years at Rhodes University.

Year One LLB:
When I started off the year, I didn't know what to expect. I was used to getting by without putting much effort. This worked well for the first few weeks until I wrote my Contract Law A test to which i got 16%. (Yes, that was a serious wake up call). From that day on, I started putting in extra work, I spent my days in the library, I pulled all nighters, I cried, I whined but I knew I had to work extra hard.

During the year, I passed some tests and failed some. It was a really painful year but giving up was never an option. I never looked back, I was prepared to give it my all.

At the end of the year, I did really well and was placed on the the DEAN's LIST for ACADEMIC MERIT. Something I never thought would happen at the time that I received my Contract Law A test script with a 16% fail.

Year Two LLB:
Because I had done really well in my first year, I thought - nah Law School is my thing, it's really not as bad as people say it is - naive much! In addition to my own school work, I was tutoring approximately 30 first year students, I was in the House Committee for my Residence and I was also the Vice Treasurer for our Student Church on Campus. I managed to overlook all these responsibilities so you can imagine the tears that were shed when I got another humbling wake up call.

I did what had to be done, with more tears, more sweat and less whining. And again at the end of the year, I was placed on the DEAN's LIST for ACADEMIC MERIT.

Moral of the Story:
After all I went through and what I achieved, I can never dream of taking any credit. I remember the nights when I would struggle to understand some concepts, and only after praying would everything make sense. Some days I would randomly wake up in the middle of the night and go through that one topic that I would have left out, only to find that exact topic in the test or exam the following morning. 

On other days, I wrote tests or exams that I knew I should have failed but I landed on a 50%. Sometimes I even fail to explain how, why, when, what, BUT my God fought for me, he remained faithful even when i doubted him. And he can definitely do the same for you - TRY HIM!




No comments:

Post a Comment